Monday, April 2, 2007

Poetry Review #5:A new, favorite book of poetry for children or teens published since 2000




BIBLIOGRAPHY

MacLachlan, Patricia and Emily MacLachlan Charest, 2006. ONCE I ATE A PIE. Ill. by Katy Schneider. New York: Joana Cotler Books.

This collection of fourteen poems highlighting man's best friend, will be endeared by all dog lovers. Each poem is titled with the dog's name, and each breed's characteristics and idiosyncrasies are lovingly portrayed by the poem. Though the poems themselves are fairly short, the amazingly lifelike paintings by Katy Schneider cover each two page spread. Those familiar with dog breeds will recognize each breed's qualities, such as the Chihuahua "Pocket".

Pocket

They say I am tiny.

I used to sleep in a coat pocket.

I have a tiny collar and a tiny coat for when it rains.

I have a tiny dish to eat my food, and a tiny water bowl.

I don't know why my things are so tiny

I am HUGE.

Tiny Pocket's personality emerges through the words of the poem and the illustration showing a little bit of a dog in a hooded yellow raincoat.

The authors make use of the page to use line spacing and white space to further show each canine's personality. Mr. Beefy is a very obese Pug with a guilty look on his face and purple pie filling on his toes. The words of this poem change with the poem, such as the word, thin, by using a "thin" font.

Mr. Beefy

I am not thin, but I am beautiful.


When

no

one
is

looking, I steal tubs of butter off the table.

I take them to the basement to eat in private.

ONCE I ATE A PIE.


Along with Mr. Beefy's guilt riddled face and slumped over position, we also see an overturned and empty pie tin!

These poems lend themselves to being read aloud. Children are bound to recognize their favorite pooches and their quirks. The illustrations are almost lifesize, and certainly lifelike, such as the puppy's sodden footprints covering the pages of "Puppy". This title is sure to be treasured and read repeatedly.

No comments: