Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Poetry Break: A serious poem about a difficult or sensitive subject in children's or teens' lives

(I apologize for this poetry break being early-- we will be on a family cruise in Mexico next week with no internet usage)

Introduction:
Talk to your students about children and monetary difficulties. Explain that you don't always know who has money or who doesn't just by looking at someone.



Late Again
SAM

We got evicted yesterday. I came home and all my
stuff was in a box outside the door.
Me, my mom, my sister, and her baby, Ty,
had to sleep in my mom's brother's car.
I'm late again. I hope nobody asks me why.

It's hard to sleep with so much traffic going by.
There's no alarm clock in my uncle's car.
My clothes are dirty. I couldn't comb my hair. I
know the kids are thinking, You're
late again. At least nobody's asking why.

Should I make up a story? They'll guess it's a lie,
and anything I'd say, they've heard before.
It's hard to get my work done, but I'll try.
Sometimes Mrs. Williams lets me sleep. So far
she hasn't said, You're late again. Why?

by Helen Frost

[From: SPINNING THROUGH THE UNIVERSE: A NOVEL IN POEMS FROM ROOM 214, Frances Foster Books, 2004]


Extension:
*Have students think about and discuss why the teacher isn't asking why Sam is late. *Consider organizing a food drive, book drive, or coat drive for less fortunate families in your area.
*With older students, show children a budget and let them see how much money it takes to survive.
*Talk about the different things that can happen to cause those with a home to suddenly become homeless. Discuss whether or not there are things you can do to prevent falling into major financial problems.

No comments: